Sunday, December 5, 2010

NOT From-Scratch PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP POUND CAKE



I love cake recipes that call for a Boxed Cake Mix!

I have several different recipes that call for a Boxed Cake Mix, and those are the ones that always turn out to be my favorites.

I mean really, why go to all the fuss with the flour and baking powder, when today's technology has finally done something that is easy AND tastes good.  Time is precious, so if it's good, AND quick, how can you go wrong?

From-Scratch things are not always the best, so don't turn up your nose on boxed cake mix recipes until you try it.

In my cooking years I have made several from-scratch cakes, and honestly, I get  most of my compliments on ones that I tweak a little from a box.  So Hush, it's our little secret.

This little charmer is a Pound Cake version.  Not a regular "cake" version, so it's not as light and fluffy as a cake, but more pound cake-ish.  A bit heavier than a regular cake, and oh so so good.

Gotta love a pound cake, especially with peanut butter and chocolate.  Plus it's pretty as a peach!

If it Looks Good AND Tastes Good AND comes from a box, why girlfriends, you've hit the jackpot.

Here are the not-from-scratch ingredients:


Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix with the pudding
1 c. milk
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 bag (12 ounce) MINI semi-sweet chocolate chips

Icing:
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1 cup regular sized semi-sweet chocolate chips

Garnish:
4 Tbsp. chopped cocktail peanuts (this makes the pound cake look extra pretty, but it also lets people know there is peanut butter in the cake - in case of allergies)

CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE RECIPE

Heat oven to 350.

Grab your trusty old Bundt Cake pan.  This is one of those pans that some people just don't have, but once you buy it, and you end up using it the two times a year, you are glad you bought it.  Because boy oh boy, cakes turn out so dag-gum pretty when baked in a Bundt Cake pan.

Mine has been around for years and years, as you can see. It sure could tell some stories! Not all good ones either.  Some disasters have come out of this poor old pan.  But some really really wonderful, scrumptious, delectable items too.


Spray the heck out of your Bundt cake pan with Baker's Joy.  This is better than Pam for baked goods, especially if you have to dump something out of the pan and need it to be completely in tact and beautiful looking.
Baker's Joy has flour in it so it's the same as greasing & flouring the pan like our grandmother use to do.
Bless their heart, they had to do stuff the hard way.

Now in a Large bowl, mix together the cake mix, peanut butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla.  Blend really well together.

As you can see I used my trusty little mini spoonula.  I know you are sick of hearing me talk about this little fella, but boy he sure comes in handy.



See what a good helper he is?

Now after all is mixed together, hand stir in the mini chocolate chips.  Make sure they are mixed all through the batter.

I use my little helper to do this.


Now pour batter into your Baker's Joy sprayed Bundt Pan.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Keep watching this, cause it really does vary.  I set the timer to 30 minutes, and keep checking on it.  If it looks done, be sure to put a toothpick right in the center and make sure it comes out clean.  The top should look something like this.



When done, set aside on the counter for 5 minutes.  If you sprayed the Bundt Pan well enough, after 5 minutes, this precious thing will flip over, onto your serving plate with ease.  And will look something like this.


Look how perfectly this came out of the pan.  I love you Baker's Joy!

Now, in a small saucepan, on medium heat, melt the icing ingredients (1/4 c. peanut butter and 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips).


Once all has melted, immediately drizzle over top of pound cake.  Let it drizzle all down the sides.  No need to spread it like frosting, just take a spoon and let it drizzle down and get in the nooks and crannies.

Now, take your cocktail peanuts.  Put them inside a zip lock baggie.  Grab a rolling pin, or, if you don't have a rolling pin, a can of green beans will do. (I don't even know why I have a rolling pin, I never use it, I don't even remember how I ended up with one) and gently break up the peanuts. 

BE CAREFUL.  Don't get all Hulk Hogan now, we don't want them mashed up too much, just a little bit (I'm dating myself because I don't think Hulk Hogan is even popular anymore).


 Sprinkle the diced peanuts on top of the chocolate drizzle.


Boy oh boy do I love recipes that call for Boxed Cake Mix!


To all my "NOT from Scratch" friends - Let this be our little secret, and don't you dare fess up.  Act like it took you all afternoon to make, trust me, everyone will believe it did.



1 comment:

  1. OMG this is one I will have to make at some point when we are having tons of company, cause I would certainly eat this thing UP QUICK. What is better than P-Butter and Chocolate

    Diana

    ReplyDelete