Monday, July 25, 2011

Kevin Bacon's CRUNCHY ASIAN SLAW. Everybody and Their Brother Has It.


I honestly believe that a Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe is like the Kevin Bacon theory.

You know the game. 

You holler out the name of a movie star, and one way or another, that movie star has starred with a celebrity, who's starred with a celebrity, who has starred with  a celebrity, who has starred with........you guessed it......


Kevin Bacon!

Well I think this recipe is just like the Kevin Bacon theory. 

I bet you've been to a BBQ or a Pot Luck, where someone has brought Crunchy Asian Slaw.

I would venture to guess that one time or another, you've heard someone say...."Oh, my cousin Betty always makes Crunchy Asian Slaw, but hers is a little different"..........................or maybe you've heard........."Oh my husband's mother's sister makes this every year for our 4th of July family BBQ".

Somehow you know someone, who knows, someone, who knows someone who makes Crunchy Asian Slaw.

I can't tell you how many time I've brought this dish to a function, and someone has said........"I know someone that makes Crunchy Asian Slaw".

So, after more than 15 years of serving this dish, and hearing these comments,  I have decided to call this, my Kevin Bacon Crunchy Asian Slaw.

I'm sure he won't mind.

Plus, out of all the Crunchy Asian Slaw's I've tried over the years, I like this one the best.  I think Kevin will agree.


Slaw Ingredients:
1 (14 ounce) bag classic cole slaw mix (I like the kind with only green cabbage and carrots)
2 packages Raman Noodles - Chicken Flavor
1 c. slivered almonds
3 Tbsp. butter

Dressing Ingredients:
1 of the  chicken flavor packets from the Ramen Noodles (use only ONE of the chicken packets. Discard the other packet, or save and use to throw in your water next time you make rice).
2/3 c. Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
4 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Black Pepper


In a large pan, place the 3 Tablespoons butter and on medium heat, gently melt butter along with the slivered almonds.  Stir frequently as you are just gently toasting the almonds.

Be sure you get the "slivered almonds" and not the "sliced" almonds.


Once the almonds are gently starting to brown, break up the Ramen Noodles into bite-sized pieces, and add to the pan with the almonds (reserve the chicken flavor packets for later, do not add this to the almonds).

Stir to combine the noodles, almonds and butter.  All you are doing at this point is gently warming the crunchy noodles.  Once that has been accomplished, set pan aside, off the burner, so the noodles and almonds cool.

Now to make the dressing.

Take only one of the chicken flavoring packets, and either discard the second packet, or set aside to use at another time.


Get out a jar with a tight fitting lid.  This is where those Mason Jars come in handy.  Love these guys.

Add in the ONE chicken flavor packet.


Then add the vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and black pepper. 



 Put that tight fitting lid on there and shake it like Kevin did in Footloose.

You really need to get all the chicken flavor granules and sugar all mixed up and dissolved.



Shake Shake Shake that bottle.



"Loose....Footloose...Kick off your Sunday shoes.......Please Louise......Pull me offa my knees..."


Look how good Kevin shakes that bottle.

Once you've finished your dance moves, grab a nice large bowl, and toss in your cole slaw mix.


Now toss your almond and crunchy noodles into your slaw.


Now one more quick shake of the bottle.


Pour the dressing all over the slaw mix, and toss toss toss.

Sometimes I actually use my hands and get in there and toss it all together to be sure everything gets well coated with the dressing.



Cool and Crispy.

Sweet, yet tangy (Just like Kevin).


When you take this dish a BBQ, and someone tells you that their Aunt Betty makes Crunchy Asian Slaw, you can now un-officially tell them....... "This isn't just ANY Crunchy Asian Slaw.............oh no..........It's Kevin Bacon's Crunchy Asian Slaw".

That'll get em dancing.


37 comments:

  1. HA! Love it...love the name :)
    I too make this salad and LOVE it! In fact, just reading your post has inspired me to move and Kevin-Bacon-Shake some things around and add it to my menu this week...PERFECT for these ridiculously HOT days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally! Love this and your post is hilarious. I know what you mean about the "My friend makes this..but..." LOL. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS...been making it for years. I use the broccoli slaw mix, it's heartier/sturdier but all the other ingred. are the same!! Either way the dressing is the star and everytime I make it I usually double the recipe and never have any leftovers. If I take it to a get together I am always asked for the recipe!! Adding chicken like someone posted would make this a complete meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I use the broccoli slaw mix and almost always double the recipe. No chicken for me. It's great to keep in the fridge and snack on when hunger strikes.

      Delete
  4. Love how Kevin shakes his dressing. This made me laugh so hard that I snorted. Thanks can't wait to make this and shake like bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made this several times and love it! I add one more tablespoon red wine vinegar and use half veg oil and half sesame oil(putting my own little spin on it) its absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing (& I'm a total Footloose fan, so I love the reference). I featured it in my Sunday Social this week. :-)
    http://justdoityall.com/decor/sunday-social-2/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good and you make it seem so easy to make. Great layout of pictures and instruction. Can't wait to try. Your blog is so much fun to go through. So many interesting things.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this today and only use one package of ramen and apple cider vinegar. Very good. I will be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, I absolutely loved your recipe story. I make 'Chinese Cole Slaw' with most of the same ingredients. I will definitely try 'Kevin Bacon Cole Slaw' to change up the recipe a little! Thanks again for the story and Bacon photos! lol, I'm still laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sally, you scored again at my house. I love cooking from your blog.

    Diana Chambers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Kevin Bacon so I will be trying this one in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Add BBQ Chicken and you have a meal. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Add BBQ Chicken and you have a meal. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use thin sliced Napa cabbage and add mandarin oranges or pineapple tidbits. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy funny story. It makes me want to make this daily! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you make this ahead of time and refrigerate overnight or will the noodles get soggy? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry! I am posting this question again because I just noticed the notify me button! Again,.... can I make this and refrigerate it overnight or will the noodles get too soggy?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Noodles will lose their crunch. Put dressing just before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The only thing I do different is I use broccoli slaw instead of the cole slaw, I love this recipe! And I add the dressing just a few minutes before serving unless you like your noodles less crunchy. MMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  21. How many will this recipe feed?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thankyou for giving me useful information.
    Please keep posting.
    경마사이트
    경마

    ReplyDelete