Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pecan KRINGLE Coffee Cake


Here is my version of a Danish Kringle.

If you've ever had a REAL Danish Kringle, with the homemade hand-rolled Danish Pastry dough, then you've obviously taken a quick trip to the hereafter.

This Danish Pastry dough however, has to be hand rolled and has to rest overnight.  The buttery, flaky dough and the ooey pecan center, is a taste from the Nordic gods.

Since I really don't have time to hand-roll anything, I wanted to try this easy peasy way out.... a short cut.... an alternate route.  A quick way to get from here to Denmark.

Here's what you'll need:


1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust from a 15 ounce box
2/3 c. chopped pecans
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, softened (do not use margarine spread)
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 to 3 teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 375.

The refrigerator pie crusts come with 2 per box.  This recipe calls for using one of the round crusts, and will make 6 slices.  If you want to use the other pie crust, just double the recipe and make 2 Kringles for 12 servings.

Place one of the crusts on a slightly greased large cookie sheet.

In medium bowl, mix the softened butter, pecans and brown sugar.  I use a fork to mash and mix everything all together.

Spread mixture over half of the pie crust and be sure to leave about 3/4 of an inch of crust edge left with no mixture.


Brush the edge with a little bit of water.


Fold pie crust over filling. You will now have a half moon shaped Kringle.

Press edge with fork tines to seal.



Prick top of crust with fork a few times.

Bake 17 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.

While Kringle is baking, and almost done, it's time to make the glaze.

In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to create a desired drizzling consistency.


Once Kringle is golden brown, remove from oven.

Oh look at that ooey gooey pecan filling trying to peek out!


While Kringle is warm, do what Paula Dean says and "Drizzle on that Glaze".


Let Kringle sit for at least 30 minutes, and then cut in to small triangles.

Don't get impatient and cut the Kringle too early cause it might start to crumble.  And you don't want a crumbled kringle.  Say that 3 times really fast. 



Oh my Kringle!







15 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this recipe. We get strawberry kringles at Christmas. This looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Sally Sall!!! I think this is what heaven looks like! WOW. I'd give anything for a bite of this right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Kringle Batman! Sally - you are KILLING me. Ugghh, I have like 5 other of your recipes printed out. Give me a minute - would ya! lol
    Here comes another one out of my printer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo my! I haven't had a kringle in years. They were everywhere when I grew up in WI but I never see them in KS. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had one, but these sure look REALLLLLLYYYYY good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wonderful. May I pin onto pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love it if you would! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing. I made one with pecans and one with pistachios because I ran out of pecans. Both tasted very yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SAlly, Just today, in my local grocery, a friend told me about pinterest. This was the very first thing that I seen that interested me. I did EXACTLY what you said, (doubled the recipe) and WHOLA!! Some flaky gooey fun was produced. My wife and I really enjoy pecans during the holidays. Thank you for this simple but truly GREAT recipe. By the way, I have been to Denmark and I have to tell you that this is as close to the real thing that I have ever gotten outside the borders. Thanks so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this recipe again, it is my go to for a quick delish dessert that is small enough for a nice get together without any left overs to tempt me. But oh Sally please start posting again. Posting anonymous, not because I don't want you to know its me, but because I hate signing into anything. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do I print this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't even know what a Kringle is but it looks gooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made these for our Christmas dinner for a couple of years now and they are a hit. I'm asked to make them every year. They are easy to make and delicious to devour. :D

    ReplyDelete