Sunday, October 24, 2010

White Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe on the internet 4 years ago.

I printed it out, and didn't make them until 2 years later!  I took one bite and wondered why I had waited so long!

This recipe (I modified it of course) went straight into my recipe binder.  It's one of my favorites.

Technically I guess these are not "enchiladas" but more like burritos since you use flour tortillas, and there isn't any enchilada sauce on them.  So you can call them what you want.  Sometimes I say I'm making "White Chicken Burritos" and sometimes I say "White Chicken Enchiladas".  Either way, my hubby and daughter know what they are, and they ask for them by different names too!

White Chicken Enchiladas

1 (8 ounce) cube cream cheese
1 c. Salsa
2 c. chopped cooked chicken (I just buy a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull it apart and save whatever is left and make chicken salad)
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed really well
1 c. frozen sweet corn
1 1/2 c. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 package (10 count) soft taco size flour tortillas
Bag of Shredded Lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Sour Cream

Preheat over to 350.  Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.

Open can of black beans, and empty into strainer.  Strain all the blackish juice and rinse them under cool water to remove all the black bean juice.  You don't want the filling to be all black and icky.  Set these aside until later.

In saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese, and salsa.  Stir frequenly until almost melted.  Add frozen corn, chicken and beans (I actually don't use the entire can of beans. I find that it's a bit too many so I use only 3/4 of the can).  Continue to stir and cook over medium heat until mixture is heated through.

Spoon filling into the soft flour tortillas and roll them side by side in your pan like nice little soldiers.

Normally my 9 x 13 inch pan will only hold 9 of the "filled"  flour tortillas.  You should have enough filling to perfectly fill 9 flour tortillas (soft taco size).  If you are creative and can squish them together, you might be able to get all 10 tortillas in your pan. But I don't like to be squished.

Cover the burritos/enchiladas with the shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through.  When you take off the foil, you should see the wonderful white cheese all melted and gooey to perfection.  You can take the foil off and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes if it looks like the cheese might need to be melted a little more.

Now for the topping.  I really really RECOMMEND this.  There is something about the cool crispness of the shredded lettuce and tomatoes along with the melted yummy-ness of the filling that make this go from good to GOODER!  (Not a word I know).

Now.... dish out one of the white enchiladas on a plate.  Sprinkle the top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and now for the finishing touch........drizzle sour cream all the way down this baby. Please don't leave this last step out.  If you refuse to do this, then just don't make this recipe.

I mean honestly.  What looks better?  Naked enchiladas below?




Or FULLY DRESSED Enchiladas?



Serve with Rice and Tortilla Chips.


Click Here For Printable Recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment