Wednesday, August 24, 2011

BIG HANDS Hearty Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich


Summer in the Midwest means loads of tomatoes, which means BLTs galore.

Personally, when I make an old fashioned BLT on white toast, I could easily eat two, and I'm not a Big Hands person. Not to mention a couple slices of bacon that secretly disappear before the sandwiches are even assembled, I can still easily eat two regular BLTs.

So, next time you have some hungry Big Hands you have to feed, here's a Hearty version of a good old-fashioned Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich for the Big Hands people in your life.

1 roll refrigerated Home-style Grand Biscuits (will make 4 Big Hands BLTs)
1 pound thick cut bacon (Peppered Thick Cut is my choice, but if you are not a Pepper person, then regular Thick Cut is perfect too)
Ripe Tomatoes, sliced
Lettuce
Mayo

Here's where we bump up a regular BLT on toasted white bread, to the Hearty version that turns a regular sandwich into a meal for Big Hands.

I used a roll of refrigerated Grand Biscuits (Whole Wheat Reduced Fat) but please by all means, feel free to use the regular Home-style Grands.

This is the kind that I used.


But in all honesty, I think the Big Hands person in my life, would have preferred that I used the regular kind as opposed to the Whole Wheat Low Fat.  He didn't actually say this, bless his heart, I just had that wifey feeling.

But since I was trying to be some-what healthy (if that's at all possible when using Thick Cut Bacon) I decided to go with the Whole Wheat.  Trust me, his Big Hands ate it anyway, Whole Wheat version and all.

So feel free to use the regular Buttermilk home-style instead in case your Big Hands person is picky.
Get the regular BLT players all set up and ready.

You know, the Mayo, the Lettuce, and of course the star of the show, your Thick Cut Bacon.


I sometimes use the Pepper Thick Cut bacon for a bit more flavorful sandwich, but regular Thick Cut is good too.

I also put mine in the oven at 350 to avoid the stove-top splatter.

After you have all the players ready to go, turn the oven to 350 and get ready to make the Big Hands biscuit bread.

Open the roll and separate out the 8 biscuits.

Take a biscuit and roll it out flat, until it becomes 4 to 5 inches in diameter.


Do this to all 8 biscuits.

Pop your flattened biscuits onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until golden brown.  About 18 minutes or so.

When they come out of the oven, they're perfect in every way.

Each biscuit will have a some-what puffed up side (which will be the pretty top side of the sandwich) and underneath they will have a flat side, perfect for stacking purposes.



Oh my goodness, the possibilities are endless with these babies. 

Imagine making Breakfast Sandwiches with these........a fried egg, a little slice of ham and of course a slice cheese. 

My mind is going crazy trying to think of other uses for these Big Hands bread slices.

Ok, now it's time to start stacking on the flat side.

Schmear some Mayo (if that's your schmear of choice)

A couple of thick slices of tomatoes

 
And of course, as many bacon slices as your heart desires

A couple slices of crisp cool lettuce.

And VOILA!

Here you have it.

A BIG HANDS BLT.



Now that's a one hearty Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Sandwich.

Your Big Hands will thank you.





2 comments: