Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Overbooked PRALINE FROSTED BROWNIES



The question of the day is this:  "Are you a double-booker?"

Is your calendar so overloaded, that you find yourself sometimes overbooking yourself?

I guess the answer to the question of the day is probably a resounding YES for most people.

I'm not from the South, and have not visited that region as often as I would like, but from what I hear, those people down there know exactly how to manage their time.

"Nice and slow"....."Take it easy"......"What's your hurry?"

Since I have no idea how to slow down, and would probably get kicked out of the South because I'm a hyper crazed over-booked lunatic, I love how this wonderfully easy, slow-southern-style brownie recipe, tastes like it took all day to make.

 And they LOOK like it took all day to make too.




 Brownies
1 box Duncan Hines milk chocolate brownie mix
Water, Eggs & Vegetable oil as called for on the brownie mix box
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Praline Frosting
1/2 c.whipping cream (in refrigeration section found next to the half & half)
6 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. chopped pecans
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla


Now don't turn your nose up at boxed brownies.  I have several WONDERFUL recipes, that turn regular boxed brownie mix, into a dessert that you'd be proud to serve or take anywhere.

And this recipe happens to be one of them.

But by all means.  If you are lucky enough to have a lot of extra, spare, unbooked time, then please, make a batch of home-made brownies.

Personally, my favorite boxed brownie mix is Duncan Hines.  I have tried them all, and I'm just partial to Duncan Hines Milk Chocolate Brownie Mix. But use whatever you happened to have on hand.


In a large bowl, combine the brownie mix, and use the appropriate ingredients for the "cake like brownie" recipe on the back of the box.

This brand calls for 1/2 c. vegetable oil, 1/4 cup water, and 3 large eggs.

Whichever brownie mix you use, I like to use the "cake like" brownie version on the box. 

Be sure to add the 1/2 cups chopped pecans to the brownie batter.

Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan.

Bake as directed, and cool brownies for one hour.

After brownies have cooled, start to make the Praline Frosting.

In medium saucepan, add the whipping cream, butter and brown sugar.

Side Note:  I know most people are aware of what Whipping Cream is.  However, someone asked for my recipe and when making these brownies (I won't mention any names) she used Cool Whip because she thought that's what I meant by "whipping cream".

So, for those of you who "might" not know what whipping cream looks like, here's a quick picture.  It can be purchased in the dairy section, normally above the milk, next to the cartons of half & half.


Ok, no laughing allowed. 

Everyone had a "first time" when buying Whipping Cream, and this precious little person who borrowed my recipe, and used Cool Whip, happened to be a whipping cream virgin.

I'm sure we've all had hysterical recipe-errors in our lifetime.  So let's all be polite Southerners and be kind and not laugh at this little person's mis-hap (and sweet pea, if you happen to be reading this.....one day you will tell this story and laugh.  I promise).

Ok, now stir the brown sugar, butter and whipping cream over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a slight boil.  Continue cooking, and stir constantly for one minute while boiling.

Remove from heat, and stir in pecans, vanilla and powdered sugar.

Stir and stir and stir until all is combined, and there isn't any powdered sugar clumps.

Leave saucepan off heat, and let cool for about 6 minutes, stirring about once every minute during this 6 minute time frame.

Pour over cooled brownies, and pop your brownies into the refrigerator.

What's gonna happen during this time in the refrigerator, is the praline frosting is going to get all crackly and will harden up just slightly.

If I were from the South, I believe I'd have to go lay down on my fainting couch right about now.
After completely cooled, these pretties can be cut into nice little squares.  About the size of a "two-bite" square. 

After all, Southern women's mouths are very dainty, it's not polite to cut yourself a big ole hunkin' piece of brownie.

Besides, Praline is very scrumptious and very rich, and most people want a nice small piece. Kind of like fudge.


May be eaten straight from the refrigerator, or at room temp (I like it slightly chilled. Store in the fridge and let set out about 20 minutes before serving).

Take your time, enjoy your Praline Frosted Brownie, and by all means......don't OVERBOOK.



























7 comments:

  1. Oh dear. What have you done? These look divine! Do you think I convince my husband to go to the store for the ingredients, and say that I am craving them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what to do? I really want to RUN to the kitchen to make these, but I'm trying to take your advice to slow down... take it easy...

    It's a hard combo! ;-)

    These look so yummy! I'm tagging this and definitely trying them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely making these tomorrow!!! They will be great dessert after the green salsa and chicken enchiladas I'll be making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these about 6 times. The name should actually be "overbooked brownies with crack like addictive quality"!!!!! I crave them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these and wrote about them here. For some reason my frosting seemed to make a much thicker layer than the ones on your blog. Next time I plan on making the brownies in a 9x9 pan with half the frosting.

    Even though there was a plethora of frosting, they were still a hit with the folks I made them for.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would this be yummy over a blondie? That frosting looks divine!!!

    ReplyDelete