Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mom's Cookies Worth a Second Look! DOUBLE CHOCOLATE Chip

I refer to my "Recipe Binder" quite often in my blog and if you don't know what it is, well it's pretty special to me. If we had a house fire, and all said parties were safe, then this would be what I'd grab as I ran out the door.  Pretty special, you get the picture.

It's where I keep all the recipes I've collected over the years.  But not just ANY recipes.  These little darlings are the ones that I call my Winners. The only recipe that goes into my Binder are ones that are privileged.  They are tried-and-true blue ribbons. Tested and proved worthy enough to be added to my precious binder.

This binder of mine is 30 years old. I have collected my favorite recipes for a little over 30 years, and most of the pages show their age.  That's what makes this Binder of mine so special to me.

Some of them have food stains on them, some are hand written by people that are long gone from my life, some have notes from my daughter when she was a wee-one, and some are torn, worn & yellowed.

That's where this recipe comes in.



We lived in Southern California when my daughter was born, about 19 years ago, and that's when I cut this recipe out of the newspaper.  1992 to be exact.


As you can see, this paper has seen it's better day.  But to me, it looks like a beauty queen!

I cut this out of the newspaper when my daughter was still on baby formula, and now, 19 years later, it's her all-time favorite cookie and she refers to this paper, and makes it quite often with her friends.  That makes me smile!

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips.  When all combined, gently fold in chips.  Take cookie scoop and scoop onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?


Look at how this cute little cookie accidentally got a chocolate chip right smack dab in the center!
I couldn't have planned that if I tried!


One has to taste a cookie from the first batch, to make sure it doesn't taste like soap!


I'm pretty sure this one doesn't taste like soap.  But I better check again.


Yep, no soap here!  But looks like I DO need to get my nail polish changed!


Ok no soap in that cookie! Thank goodness I tested it right when it came out of the oven.  
I don't want anyone to get a bad cookie! 


Double chocolate people!  Are you understanding this? 

Feel free to test your first cookie for soap before anyone sees you.  You might need to test TWO just in case :)

P.S.  My secret wish is one day, when my daughter is grown with a family of her own, she will pull out this tattered binder filled with recipes and notes and food stains, and tell her children a little story just like I told you about this one.

And that she will point to this and say "Kids, that's your grandma's handwriting".

2 comments:

  1. You bring tears to my eyes with laughter and melancholy. I love your blog, sense of humor and from one foodie to another I love your pictures.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know dear, but they look a little "soapy" to me. Maybe you should bring
    me one to try, so you can get a second opinion, just to be sure, you know :o)-Jeri

    ReplyDelete